Friday, September 11, 2009

When Lucy arrived home I conned her into driving me to get my bike. The deal was dinner out in exchange for the ride almost to Jacksonville. The meal was good even if it was on one of those chrome and glass yuppie diners. Ordinarily I would not be caught dead in a place like it, but a deal was a deal. It seemed a bit harsh to force me there but Lucy thought it was funny. I didn't make a fuss, if I had she might have gone into hysterics.

By nine pm the bike was in the garage and I was kissing Lucy good night. I would have loved for it to have been a peck on the cheek, but she had other things in mind. After the heavy wet kiss, she did turn and walk away. Mixed signals again, I thought, but then I was doing the same thing. I think we both were a bit afraid of a commitment. Of course I had the better reason to avoid it. Lucy had no idea what I was saving her from. She evidently had issues of her own, since something had caused her to walk away as well.

I shook my head as I entered my studio apartment. I played around on the computer for a while, then I gave up and went to bed.

The next morning, after my cereal, I rode the Tomos to the park. The old man wasn't there so I called the old man's son-in-law. "Your motor is ready for pickup," the son in law informed me. "I am going to be out a while this afternoon so plan accordingly."

"How about I hop on the bike and come get it now."

"Sure, that would be fine."

"I need to go back home for the trailer so I'll be about twenty minutes of so, if that is okay?"

"Sure, I'm not leaving till noon."

I didn't take any chances I picked up the motor and wheel within a half hour of the call. When I got home, I mounted it quite easily following the old man's directions. I even got it wired and ready for the batteries. Those were on order but were coming from china so it would take a while.

I'm not kidding the only place I could buy the most modern battery technology was from china. When I think of China, I think of cheap. The batteries were anything but cheap. I paid almost 500 bucks for a 36volt high capacity battery pack.

Even with that expensive battery pack I couldn't get to Jacksonville and back. So I planned to keep the Tomos stored in the garage. I could always risk riding it in an emergency. An emergency like taking it on the lamb in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment