Saturday, May 29, 2010

Winter dragged its feet but finally spring arrived. The sun began to shine longer and the temperature swung wildly from day to day. It was just a typical southern spring. It was also nice and wet. Our version of the spring monsoon pounded us for days at a time. Still it was a good time of the year, if one didn't mind staying in the house. I chose to work one day a week and just be drenched the whole day.

"Good morning Mr. Abba,"Michael said as he headed for his car.

"Good morning Michael. How is your job going." He had been my tenant and neighbor for about two and a half months. He had been employed by a local law office for about the same length of time. Fortunately he was not employed by the Seymore group. My private life pretty much stayed private.

"It's just fine. I didn't realize how much I would miss being outside though. I always thought I would love being inside out of the wind and rain. Now I seem to miss it more and more each day."

"Ah I can only imagine how much that must weigh on a young man. I never worked in an office a full day at a time. I was always in and out. Now I only work part time."

"I know you have the ideal job, I think." he smiled as he spoke.

"Well, I'll let you go. I'm off to serve some divorce papers then make a photograph."

The day went along just as planned. As a matter of fact my life was going along pretty much the same one day to the next. My life as a cop had been a lot like that except the boring days were punctuated by moments of sheer terror. So far there had been damn few of those punctuation marks.

Mary and I were, as my mother would have said, keeping company pretty much every weekend. It wasn't a great passion, just a comfortable relationship. It has less to do with sex than with someone being there in the morning.

Fortunately for me Mary had come to realize that I wasn't the one. I expected her to find the one any moment. When she did find the one, I hoped that I could wish her well and move on. Of course there was no way to determine that until it happened.

Dog was developing his own personality. He was big old playful brute by summer. Michael had replaced Molly and Misty as he weekday playmate. Mary was still his special lady on the weekends. I was just the guy who bought his food. That is until someone appeared to be the least bit threatening. When that happened, dog was all growls and gnashing of teeth. Dog was very territorial. I liked that about him.

My first festival was in the spring. Mother's day weekend to be exact. I wasn't sure that what I did would be a good Mother's day gift, but I gave it a shot nonetheless. I set up in one of those sideways in the park art shows. The organizer couldn't decide whether to put me in the craft section of a show or in the arts section. When I arrived I found myself in the crafts section. Since I had no better idea than the promoter where I fit in, I wasn't upset.

Even though the show was in Williamsport just a few miles from home, I left the display up over night. I covered it with clear plastic and died it down. I looked inside my metal money box on the way out of my display. I had sold twenty two dollars worth of note and post cards. The posters drew people in but didn't sell. The small three dollar card assortments did best. Followed by the one dollar post card assortment. Actually they were the only two selling items I carried.

Since I planned for the first year to be a learning experience, I wasn't all that disappointed. I spent the night at Mary's house. She had insisted that Dog spend the weekend with her. I have no idea what they did, but both seemed happy to see me.

"I can take Dog home now, if you like," I suggested. "Or first thing in the morning." Since the show didn't start till noon there would be plenty of time. either way."

"Dog can stay with me tomorrow till you are finished. I think I will give him a bath and take him shopping for some toys. He needs toys here."

"What did he chew?" I asked smiling.

"Nothing of any real value, but like you, I need something to redirect his energy."

"Oh and what do you use to redirect my energy?"

"My body of course," she laughed.

When the show finally ended I picked up Dog and home we went. Once we arrived he and I spent some quality time on the rear deck. Michael came over to visit with Dog before bedtime.

"Mr. Abba, I'm planning a cookout next weekend. Will that be a problem?"

"Not for me. I think I will be home but I never know for sure."

"Just thought I would let you know."

"It is always a good idea to keep folks informed of things that might effect their lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment