Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I expected Macon to call and I wasn't disappointed. "What the hell happened?"

"Eddie listen to me, don't every try to send my your poison again."

"Did she show her ass again?"

"No, she kept her clothes on, but she is a real pain in the ass. I have too many things going on to deal with her childish antics."

"Well I guess I'm going to have to put here in a dorm."

"Or maybe the juvenile detention center."

Eddie had his problems and I had mine. Mine would end with a simple rental contract, his would take several years. I had finished my walk before Eddie called, so breakfast was the next order of business. An Egg and cheese sandwich made on a bagel was my choice. The egg and cheese got cooked in a saucer in the microwave, and the bagel toasted in the toaster oven. It was an easy to make and easy to cleanup after meal.

After breakfast I worked on a couple of shots I made the days before. I had been making my 'image of the day' at historical sites in town. Places I could reach on my Ebike were my choices so far. I even had a retail location for their sale. Since it was historical, the museum had agree to put them in their gift shop on consignment. The historical landscapes and the reenactments were allowed in the museum. The local senior center did the same. I doubted that I would ever sell a card at either location but it was a start.

I had made a few dollars from posters. A couple of Misty and Molly's friends had their images made into posters. Usually they resulted in orders for five or six posters each to pass on to friends and family I supposed. The bigger advantage was that I got more and different samples from each of them.

Mary solved my tenant problem for me a couple of days later. She found a young paralegal who needed a place to live while he did her internship. Since the apartment was so small, I had come to understand that temporary people would probably be the best I could do. Families were pretty much out of the question. So it would likely be a constant search for new tenants.


Mary just showed up after the Macon fiasco with the young man in tow. Since Mary found the tenant, it was a man naturally. Michael was just 20 years old, and fresh out of the paralegal course at the local community college. Yes it was the same school Molly and Misty had attended. I probably should have asked the school to just send me their kids and cut out all the middle men. Of course they wouldn't since they didn't offer residential aid there.

He was a good looking kid about twenty five pounds or so over weight and god awful young. He was absolutely the kid next door type. He had good manners, when I complimented him on them, he informed me that he was raised on a farm by his grandparents. His dad had died in the military, and his mom just fell apart. It was more than I needed or wanted to know, but it did explain his seemly open and honest manner.

Since he was fresh out of school, I agreed to make the rent 600 a month for six months but no security deposit. After six months it would drop to the five hundred I quoted Macon. I did tell him that I controlled the thermostat and he might need a small electric heater for really cold evenings.

He assured me that it wouldn't be a problem. Mary took me aside while he looked the place over. "I'll cover any damage he does. Dad and I have kind of taken him under our wing. We know his situation and are helping him get started. You won't lose anything John."

"Don't worry, unless he is prone to rages, I can handle it."

"Michael there is one more who had to approve of you." I led him out to Dog's kennel. I opened the gate to judge Michael's reaction. He was very comfortable with Dog. Dog however was a little shy, since he was partial to women. Dog did come around though when Michael began to rough house with him. "Well that settles it, when do you want to move in?"

"I have my things all packed up at home. I can move in today if that's okay?"

"It's just fine with me. I need to spend some time out working this afternoon, so I'll give you the key, if you write me a check for five hundred dollars. I won't even wait for the check to clear. If Mary says your check is good, then it is good."

"It will be good, I promise. I had a part time job in school and saved for my move to town."

"Well this isn't exactly New York or even Williamsport, but it is a town I guess."

No comments:

Post a Comment