Sunday, May 2, 2010

For the next two weeks I delivered court papers twice a week, I also made images three or four times a week, then when I had a few minutes to spare, I took the bike out for a spin. Most of my time was accounted for doing things that I enjoyed. It was hard not to expect something to come along and cause a reversal of my fortunes.

I went out with Mary Seymore a couple of times during those two weeks. It seemed to be a harmless relationship so I just ignored the fact that it was a different thing to each of us. To me it was all about enjoying the moment. To Mary it was about building a relationship from moment to moment. I felt that somewhere in her mind there was some grand plan. Yes I should have run away, but I made a well thought out choice not to do so.

I really did like Mary. At least enough to do the dance with her for a while. She would move forward and I would move back. As long as she remained careful not to push me against the wall, I would play along.

Friday morning I headed to the Foxton reenactment. Even if the beautiful Jenny was married, a chance to spend the weekend shooting pictures of camp life, among the re enactors, was too good an opportunity to miss.

Jenny had emailed me that I needed to bring a couple of blankets to sleep under, but since mine would not be authentic, I would have to pack them away before the tourist began to arrive, It was all a giant hoax, but I didn't mind. 'Honesty at all cost' as a concept was fine, but in the real world I knew that it just wasn't practical. The two blankets were probably plain enough to pass muster, but they were surely the wrong color. I had bought them from a salvation army store.

After a disaster the army ran shelters. The blankets had been used at one of the shelters. There were a couple of stains, probably blood, that were never going to come out, so the Salvation army put the stained blankets in their thrift store. I bought them to use on the ground, when I worked on my car. I had yet to find an occasion for their use, so when I pulled them from the trunk of my car, in the parking lot reserved for re enactors, they were clean just not very pretty.

I had made good time thanks to the excellent highway system in this country. The six hundred mile trip took me just under eleven hours. When I stopped for gas. I emptied what needed to be emptied, and filled bags with 'one hand food'. That is food that could be consumed safely while driving.

There was a gentleman standing picket at the edge of the parking lot. The edge of that parking lot was also the end of 2010 and the beginning of 1863. It was impossible to tell the eventual size of the encampment, since it was still being built. The parking lot was busy with men in jeans and sweat shirts running back an forth with loads of camping equipment. The thing that set them apart from an ordinary camper was the age or look of the items they carried. If the items weren't authentic, they were damn good replicas.

The quartermaster was issuing camp spaces and generally in charge of the bivouac. He explained that there were no quest quarters available, but that knew all about me.

"I gave Jenny the approval for you to stay here with certain conditions," he explained. The conditions were pretty much as Jenny had told me. Nothing to disrupt the good order of the battle or camp life. "Now go to the supply sergeant and draw a temp shelter kit. He will tell you how to erect it.. If you still need help one of the guys here can help you I'm sure."

The 1 each temporary shelter kit was no more than a sheet of white canvas 6.5' by 4.5'. Wrapped up inside it were two 3' dowels, four stakes, and a half dozen pieces of light rope. It all appeared to be period or made to appear to be of the period. Also inside the kit was a set of hand written instruction, complete with crude hand drawn illustrations. The shelter wasn't a tent and it wasn't a lean to , but it was a little of both. One of my blankets was for the floor. I was able to put up the shelter and leave it since it was period,. The blankets would have to be removed first thing then next morning. I didn't expect that the canvas structure would last the night. I imagined it would be a moisture cover flat over the blankets come the first gust of wind.

I shot a picture of the shelter once I had it erected, then I moved on to shoot pictures of other tents in various stages of completion. I made pictures of men setting put the portable wood fired cook stove. One of the re enactors made it himself He was the man who gave the old time blacksmith demonstrations for a museum.. He combined his love of metal working with his hobby and out of it came a camp stove able to feed the whole company of re enactors. There was a donation jar to pay for the food and fuel.

I decided to pass on the bacon and beans with cornbread, which was on the dinner menu that night, I did drop five bucks in the jar anyway. I did it because the images I had shot that day, and the stories I heard were worth a heck of a lot more to me than five bucks.

Instead of the bacon and beans, I shot pictures of it all until dead dark. Then I used my GPS to get me to a McDonalds for a big Mac and fries. The coke was by far the best thing that night. It was a warm night and I knew I was going to be in trouble without water the next day. Since they were going to make me a tourist, I decided to buy a six pack of bottled water. It went against my grain to pay for water, but I had no choice.

I had made the conscious decision not to shoot anything with flash. I was planning to make period type images, so the flash would have just been out of place. That did not prevent me from bringing my fastest lens and the fastest film I could find. I loaded it in the camera for the campfire shots. Even so I doubted that they would be of any use. I shot it in black and white so that I could manipulate the images.

Jenny found me around 9pm. "Well hello picture man. I expect to see some beautiful images next week on you web site."

"Only if you pose nude for me," I whispered.

"My, my how you do talk. You will have me all red and flustered," she said in her best fake drawl and then she giggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment