Friday, October 30, 2009

prep work

I had this strange feeling that I was being used. What I was being used for I had no idea, but most likely it had to do with selling more books. Since Sara Marlow wasn't some kind of political hack, like most of the recent best sellers, she would have to come up with another angle to sell her books. It was possible that I was going to be the angle. I didn't like it, but since I wasn't breaking any conditions of my parole. I went along for the ride. I called my P.O. for permission because this one just didn't smell right.

I explained to her that I had been asked to provide some security consulting for a book tour. I also explained that I would not carrying a firearm. All I was going to do was to make recommendations to keep the writer safe. She didn't need to know that I would be more directly involved. Since gainful employment was one of the markers used to measure my progress, she was thrilled. She didn't need to know the details of how I got the gig. I doubted that she would approve of even a splinter offshoot of swamp thing being involved in my life again. Liberals really hated swamp thing and all it stood for. Me, I just liked to get paid.

After the author's manager headed off to her room, I got a cab at the curb. "Take me to the closest Walmart," I demanded. He didn't seem to approve of my destination, but I just didn't care. Since I had to fly commercial in order to meet the time restraint, I couldn't bring any of my toys.

I moved a buggy through the aisles of Walmart as efficiently as possible. I actually knew what I wanted, it was just a matter of finding everything. First I bought a hollow metal cane from one of the aisles near the pharmacy. Then I bought a couple of bags of aquarium sand and gravel. Two large candles also found their way into my buggy. A couple of rolls of black tape, along with a set of heavy weight steak knives joined the cane and sand. In the hardware department I found their smallest dremel set. I made sure that it had the set of tiny implements before I put it in the buggy.

In the sporting goods section I found a target master sling shot. I'm not real sure slingshot is technically the right name for it, but it said that on the box. I added a large box of marbles to the buggy. After all a slingshot needs ammunition. My purchases came to less than the cab ride. It didn't matter I was just glad thats I could find everything with just one stop. I could have bought more things, but my few purchases were likely be more than enough.

It was very late when I finished changing the Walmart items into weapons of self defense. With the addition of the aquarium sand and gravel to the hollow cane, I had added a couple of pounds of weight . I used the candle wax to plug the ends. That and the return of the plastic caps to their places at the ends of the cane left nothing to indicate that any changes had been made.

The steak knives were still suitable for carving, but I didn't have T-bone in mind. None of the knives maintained their handles. I used the black electrical tape to cover the metal shank, which had once been encased in plastic. The knives were easier to conceal without the thick plastic handles.

A little careful work with the dremel tool and I had reshaped two of the knives. I added a good point and thinned out the blades a bit. They weren't exactly competition quality throwing knives, but I knew from experience that they would do in a pinch. Two of the others had no point, but were much sharper once I finished with them. They would do quite well for slashing away at an enemy, if it came to that. I figured anything over four knives was overkill, so I stopped there. It was late, and I was tired, so I turned it. There were the usual dreams but they weren't any worse than most nights, so I slept pretty well.

When I woke at seven the next morning, the message light was lit on my phone I had slept almost an hour longer then I would have managed at home. I didn't have to try to revive a fire in the motel, so I was able to sleep in. The message informed me that my little group would assemble at 9am for breakfast in the motel restaurant. I showed up half an hour early and the rest of the group showed up a half hour late. It was not a good beginning.

Sara Marlow looked very different in real life. She was not so professionally made up. Her face looked almost faded as did the rest of her. Her hair was washed out blonde but obviously colored by someone who was good at their job. Her body, as I had guessed from the photographs, was several pounds over weight. Not so much as to be unattractive just enough to be noticeable.

The manager made the introductions. "Sara this is Richard Ames. Mr, Ames, Sara Marlow."

"Hello Miss Marlow," I said extending my hand to her.

She shivered when she took my hand. "Is anything wrong?" I asked that more as a courtesy, than from any real concern."

"Nothing," she said self consciously.

"So, what is the plan for today?" I asked it of the manager.

"Sara will be signing books and talking to fans at the Barnes and Noble in their downtown store."

"What are the times?"

"Noon until 7PM," Sara replied.

"Very well, I'm going to head on down to the store. I want to look around before you arrive. I should know more when I have a chance to talk to the manager." Since there had been no specific threat, I felt just fine leaving them to make their way to the store on their own. I was pretty confident that I was no more than window dressing. I felt that the whole thing was no more than a huge publicity stunt. Somewhere along the line there would be a TV interview or something like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment