Friday, October 9, 2009

It took two more weeks but the girls did buy their print. I worked on more prints for the new show. I was more than satisfied with creating them just to pass the time. I didn't really care whether they were sold or stolen. I just wanted an excuse to shoot more of them. I charged a ridiculously large price I thought, but Lucy said they were still to cheap.

I sat by the river a couple of days later. There was a definite chill in the air on that October morning. I had been promised that the winter was going to mild, so the morning chill early in October was a bit disconcerting. I was about to leave when I saw her standing by the river. She looked a lot like someone about to jump in. It wasn't the kind of weather for a morning swim. I debated whether or not to speak to her. I made the decision because I thought she might jump. I knew for a fact, that I would go in to save her. It was just too damn cold for that.

"Excuse me Miss are you alright?" I spoke slowly with a lowered voice. I didn't want to frighten her. When she didn't respond I went on. "That water looks mighty cold."

"Please leave me alone," she replied.

"I can't do that unless you assure me you aren't going to jump into the river with a pocket full of rocks," I suggested.

"What's it to you anyway?"

"Well I work for the city. It's my job to scout all the likely spots in town. My job is to spot all the troubled people. If you go into the water, then I have to go in as well. Normally that would be fine. I like being a hero, but today I am coming down with a cold. I really would prefer you came back next week." I smiled to let her know for sure that it was a joke.

"I might not be in the mood next week," she said quietly.

"Oh if your problems are all that serious today, they likely will be next week." I smile as she turned to look at me. "If you like, I can try to help you with them."

"The only way you could help me would be to kill me."

"Okay, I'll make you a deal. You tell me your problem and if I can't solve it, I will kill you. I will do it a lot less painfully than drowning. How's that sound?"

She actually smiled. "Okay but you promise to help me one way or another?"

"Yes I promise. Now I don't know about you but I'm chilled to the bone. Let's go over to the diner across the street. The coffee is on me."

"Ah, a guardian angel who also picks up the tab. I think I'm going to like you." She didn't quite smile but she did seem to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment