Saturday, July 10, 2010

"This place is a lot like the place I just left. I do hope moving me on down the line won't take long."

"You wanted to relocate to the coast so we chose Wilmington for you. Small enough for you to adapt quickly but large enough so that no one will pay any attention to a new resident."

"It sounds fine and what do you plan for me to do there. I'm not much of a fisherman."

"Here are a list of the business for sale down there. Pick one and we can help put you in it."

"You are going to buy me a business, nice," I suggested.

"We can make the down payment for you and help you get started but whether you sink or swim is totally up to you."

I scanned the list quickly. There were a lot of building type jobs. The varied from a Carpet installing company, to a home improvement company. I quickly moved on since I had no desire to be involved with real work, not even as the owner of the business. I noticed the absence of bar owner on the list.

"You mean there are no bars for sale in that town?"

"There are but they are not the kind of place you want to be involved with. You never can tell when a friend of the Sanchez brothers might walk in."

"Good point," I kept looking. "You know there is a photo business on the list. I took a lot of pictures once upon a time."

"Well it's a legitimate gig and not one likely to put you in contact with any of your old friends. I can make some calls tomorrow to see what I can do about it for you. But you should keep looking. There might be some things on that list you are better suited for. We have a few more days here before we move you to Wilmington."

"I'm not under house arrest or anything am I?"

"Of course not, but I would like to keep you out of dangerous situations."

"Okay, what about the public library. do you consider it dangerous."

"Not at all, I can give you a ride tomorrow. I drop you off and you can just call me when you are finished."

I slept reasonably well in the strange bed. It wasn't as hard as the bed I had in prison but it was much larger for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment