Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Over my years as a cop, I had learned to deal with a problem as best I could, then put it out of my mind and move on. Yes I would often come back to the problem over and over, but I never allowed any one problem to become all consuming. That is what I did with the camera and the courier business, I worked on them till the immediate needs were met, then I just moved on to something else.

The something else that afternoon was not what I had expected at all. The something else was Molly and her mother. "Hello Molly," I said as the two of them approached.

"Mr. Abba, This is my mother," Molly said with a smile.

"Hello Ms. James, it's a pleasant surprise meeting you. Most of my surprises are not pleasant."

"Molly has told me a lot about you MR Abba. I feel much better knowing she has someone close who is reliable."

"I'm not sure how reliable I really am these days, but I will try to take care of her." Since Misty was not around I didn't mention her. I had no idea how much Mom knew.

"So what can I do for you Molly?" I asked it trying not to stare at Ms James. It was hard not to. Ms James took a lot better care of her herself than Molly. She was strikingly beautiful. Like her daughter she was a bottle blonde, but her bleach was a better job. Her hair has at least three colors, so I was sure it had been processed, but it was a beautiful job. She Just had that well taken care of look, very much like Mary Seymore. I wondered why Molly had a more farm girl look. I wondered but I made sure not to ask. Judging from Molly's apparent age, her mother would have to be close to sixty but she really didn't look it. Most likely it was the work of some expensive surgeon. She just did not look like she was the mother of the almost homely Molly.

"Mom and I are going to dinner, I wondered if you would like to join us?" Molly asked. "That is if you don't have any plans/"

"Well to be honest, I have been planning a few quiet evenings at home. Maybe we can do it another time?" I suggested.

"Of course Mr. Abba, I'm sorry we sprang this on you at the last minute. However, I did want to speak with you about Molly. I wonder if we might stop by for coffee after dinner?" Ms James was certainly no shrinking violet.

"Of course, I'll be expecting you. Can you give me an estimate as to the time?" I asked it because some people tend to dawdle over dinner. I didn't want to be tied to staying awake late into the evening.

"Shall we say nineish?" Ms James asked. It was obvious she was the dominant personality in her family. She didn't say, and of course Molly never had, but I guessed that she was divorced.

"That would be just fine," I suggested.

Since it was only six PM at the time, I did some more research. I searched Google for information about motor assisted bicycles. I have a feeling that I could use the bike for more deliveries, if it had a motor assist. I wondered if I could use it as a real tool, not just a subterfuge. It would be interesting at least. The research led me to believe that it might be possible, if I were careful about it. I needed to make some trial runs testing different ideas. It was yet another project to keep me occupied. I tended to stay occupied with things that were of only minor significance, even to me.

The time passed quickly as it almost always did while I was on the computer. I was surprised how spungelike my mind had become. I had always thought that I was too old to learn , I found instead, that things came much easier to me than I would have ever believed possible. The knock startled me.

"Well come on in," I said it to Ms James. Molly was no where to be seen. "Molly isn't coming?"

"No I thought this would be easier, if it were just you and I."

"Oh and why is that?" I had an idea we would be discussing Molly's sex life and I was very uncomfortable at the prospect.

"Frankly it's Molly I hoped to discuss with you."

"I'm sure you know more about her than I do."

"If you are asking do I know that she is gay, then yes I know." Ms James did not beat around the bush.

"Well that takes care of the elephant. So what can I tell you?"

"Tell me that this new woman in her life is not just using her."

I thought about it before I answered. "Since I don't know their financial arrangements, I can't comment one way or another. All I can say is Molly holds the lease and it will be Molly I expect to pay me."

"That's not what I meant. This Misty person who exactly is she?"

"I have no idea except that she told me she was in the criminal justice course at the community college. You could probably find out more from them. I would try to find a classmate willing to talk about her, If I were you."

"I don't know how to do that kind of thing. Since you were a police officer I expect that you do know how."

"I am not an investigator. I am just an old worn out cop. besides right now about all your daughter can offer Misty is a bed to share."

"If that is what Misty believes then there is no problem. It is not the reality of the situation. Molly has nothing at the moment, that is true. However when I die, the situation will be much different."

I had no idea what that meant and didn't really want to know. I made the assumption that Molly stood to inherit a large estate. I didn't care, so I assumed no one else would either. That however was not the way Ms James saw it. People who had money also seemed to have more than a little paranoia about it. I guess it was part of the trade off.

"To be honest I really do not want to look through Misty's laundry for dirt. Just let them enjoy themselves for whatever reason. You can always write your will to make sure Molly doesn't throw the money away."

"So you are refusing to do a background check on her?"

"Yes I am, but there are any number of guys who will do it. Some will even find whatever you want true or not." Ms James did not take that news well. She looked as though she might want to cut my throat, in a most ladylike way of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment