Friday, March 19, 2010

The morning routine was pretty much set. So that next morning. I was up first, showered and I dressed while Mary managed to get herself out of bed and dressed. We walked, I did two miles she did one. She was still a little weak from her hospital stay, but she was able to keep up the pace better with each walk.

After our walk, I changed into my work clothes. I useually watched the TV news while Mary puttered around her apartment at her own pace. That Monday was a little different. Mary got a call while she waited on the trail for me to finish my walk.

When we met on the wooded strip across from her house, Mary informed me that the call had been from a client in Carthage. The client was in jail and about to be arraigned. Mary told the client to plead not guilty, if we didn't make it in time. Even so she wanted to get started for Carthage as soon as possible.

Mary did her morning routine in a whirlwind fashion. I drank cup after cup of coffee with the TV news running in the background. I had everything ready for the twenty minute drive, when she emerged from her bedroom. I handed her coffee in a go cup as I hustled her out the door. I drove her car on the trip to Carthage.

The case of nerves we both felt was because she would be returning for the first time to the spot where she had been shot. Since there was a client in trouble, she couldn't ease into it. She would have to face her fear head on. Worst of all for me, I couldn't take the light weight .38 Brazilian made pistol inside the courthouse. My carry permit, might be good there, but the delay in clearing it through the metal detector would leave Mary unprotected for a short amount of time . Even that in that place was unacceptable.

I would just have to rely on the police and sheriff departments to do their jobs. Not a comforting thought after the incident the last time we were in the building. Still, I had no choice but go along.

Mary and I met with her client in a small room in the prisoner holding area. Almost most without exception, every prisoner with a lawyer plead not guilty at the first arraignment. Plea negotiations would begin after all the facts were brought out. Well as many of the facts as were known.

The client was an elderly white man, who looked terrified. He definitely would not do well in prison, I thought. "Mary, for god's sake get me out of here," he demanded.

"Calm down Everett, I am going to do what I can. On the phone you said this was all a mistake?"

"Yes, the police think I killed my wife. Honest to God Mary I could never harm Lucille."

"Then why do they think you killed her. They must have some reason to arrest you?" Mary said what I was thinking. I had to bite my tongue not to comment.

"I don't know. I called them for Gods sake. Mary fell down the basement stairs. When I saw her laying there, I called 911. I didn't know what to do, so I stood at the front door to show them the way to the basement. While they tried to help her an officer asked me a lot of questions. They took Lucille to the hospital where some doctor told me she was gone."

"So when did the police take you into custody/"

"They tried to ask me questions at the hospital but I told them I had a lawyer. I thought I should wait to talk to you. Then they said they were going to take me to the station, while they sorted it all out. I sat around for a couple of hours before they arrested me."

"Did they allow you to call our office?"

"Yes I called to leave a message. The woman who answered the phone told me to not talk to anyone at all until you arrived. I kept quiet"

"Everett, why did the police think that Lucille didn't just fall down the steps accidentally?"

"She had some scratches and bruises. Some of the scratches were old and some were fresh they said it was the same with the bruises. There was also something about her being in her night gown. They kept asking me why she would go down the stairs in her nigth clothes."

Mary's look was blank as far as I could tell. "Let's get you out of here first thing, then we can clear all this up. Do you own your home Everett?"

"Yes our home is paid for."

"You can probably use it as collateral for the bail. You might not needs to go through a bondsman at all. Or you could just put up cash as a bail. If the bail is more than we can arrange easily, I can suggest an honest bondsman."

Good luck in finding an honest bondsman, I thought

Mary turned to me, then said. "Mr Abba, could you call this number please. Speak with Edward Norris personally . Alert him that we might need him to post a bond.

"Will you be alright if I make this call outside?" She knew what I meant. I didn't want her to have a panic attack. It would definitely shake Everett's confidence in his mouthpiece.

"I'll be just fine."

"Well good morning Ms Seymore, it is good to see you back in court. So how does your client plead?" The judge asked twenty minutes later.

"Your honor, we pleads not guilty, of course, because he is." She said it with a charming smile.

"Of course," the judge said with only a hint of sarcasm in his voice. Certainly not enough to get him removed from the case. "Miss Sewell, what is the states position on bail.?"

"Remand your honor, the defendant pushed his elderly wife down the basement stairs," the younger woman said.

"Allegedly pushed," Mary interjected. "And your honor there is no history of violence here. My client has no idea what happened to his beloved wife."

"Save the flowery speaches for the trial. How much Miss Sewell?"

"We are requesting remand your honor," she said.

"That is outrageous your honor," Mary said angrily.

"You know better Miss Sewell, One million, cash or secured bond." the judge said.

"I don't have the kind of money," Everett whispered.

"That's why I had Mr Abba call Mr Norris. He is a bondsman and can arrange it."

"Why should I lose everything because the cops made a mistake?" Everett Ashton said angrily.

"You don't have to lose everything. You don't have to post bond at all. You cans stay in jail while we sort this out. It might take a few days or it might take a year. That is totally up to you." Mary put some steel into her words.

"Can I post bond anytime I want, or do I have to do it now?"

"There is no time limit. Why don't you give this some thought, then give me a call if you want to post bond. In the meantime I will try to find out why the police arrested you." Everett just nodded.

Once the jailer had taken Ashton away, I asked, "You don't really believe that the cops made a mistake do you?"

"It happens often enough," Mary suggested.

"Not as often as you would like to think."

"Could you call your friends and see what they have on my client?" She saw the look on my face then added, "Or not."

"You should act as if I weren't here," I suggested.

"You know we are paying you?"

"Well it was my understanding, that I was being paid as a body guard for you. Your dad is not paying enough for me to compromise my relationship with my friends."

"I see," she said.

"I hope you do."

"Would it compromise your relationship with your friends to walk with me to the police department and maybe give me some advice."

"What would you have done, if I weren't here?" I asked.

"Call one of our law clerks to run this information down."

"Then that's what you should do now." I could tell Mary was angry. I expected that her daddy would be as well.

"You know you probably don't need me. You and daddy could hire someone to baby sit you who would be a lot easier to get along with."

"I think that might be an excellent idea," she snapped.

"Good, I'll drive to your condo for my things and you won't have to worry about me again."

No comments:

Post a Comment