Sunday, March 28, 2010

I reported to Susan by phone. I could already figure out that my cell plan was not going to be enough. After I moved a couple of weeks before I had discontinued the regular phone service. I chose to go with a prepaid cell phone service. I one never really planned to use the phone, which I hadn't, it is by far the least expensive. It could be available for under ten bucks a month. The downside was that the per minute price was not cheap. It looked as though I would be using the phone more than the minimum. I looked into making phone calls on my computer line. It just seemed too complicated.

I sure as hell didn't want a phone that was smarter than me, so I decided for the time being to go with email and the cell phone for emergencies. I set up an email for the company under the name LECS. I gave the email to Susan Jamison and I also sent an email to Herbert Seymore. I figured I might as well take on a second client, if I was going to the trouble of setting up a company.

All that mental work was completed in the evening of that first day. The next morning I went for a walk on the trail. My days on the trail were numbered as the weather was beginning to cool. While I was on the trail I gave some thought to taking pictures again. My mind worked on several projects at a time but not at the same time. That morning on the trail I chewed on the camera and reenactment problem. I really did want to follow them, and I wanted to shoot pictures, but I wanted to fit in as well. Not necessarily be period with the equipment, but not be so damn blatantly modern either.

From what I had read the old Polaroid roll film cameras might be the way to go. since the film hadn't been made for many, many years and had been so expensive at the time it was made, the cameras had seen little use. Even though the earliest ones were not much more than novelties they had been extremely well made. No they didn't have any bells and whistles, not even for their time, but there were battleship tough. Anyone I could find was likely to be still working and still light tight. It seems that a lot of the old cameras with bellows had a tendency to have light leaks in the bellows. the Polaroid almost never did.

There was a tradeoff as there almost always was in life. The camera had to be either converted to modern film, used in funky ways. I had absolutely no desire to chop on a camera, since my building skills were pretty much non existent. There was an old man on the net who had managed to devise a very slow and painstaking way to use the old Polaroid. I was considering giving his method a try. I had almost made up my mind to do so days before. I finally gave in and decided that it was the way I wanted to go for the reenactment shoots.

When I arrive home I went to work on the business plan. I almost forgot about the camera but it popped back in my mind for just long enough for me to find one on Ebay and buy it. Even with shipping the camera was much less than twenty dollars. I bought and paid for it, then promptly forgot it.

What I did do was to spend my morning working on a logo for the company. Once I had the silly logo designed, I ordered magnetic signs on line. They were much more expensive than the stick on type, but I wasn't sure how long I would be in the courier business. I stopped for lunch around noon but instead of lunch I had a bowl of cereal. It was most people's lunch time but it was my breakfast time.

After lunch I returned to the thrift store bike and what if any use I could make of it. I liked the idea of a bike courier but it would be not be practical in this application. There were two towns and rural work to do. The area was just not a metropolis like New York or Boston. Then again I wasn't going to be doing typical courier work. The bikes might prove a good cover. Who would expect a subpoena from a bike messenger. I could always drive the car to within a couple of blocks of the delivery address, then ride the bike up to the door. it would make downtown parking much easier as well. There were some advantages.

A bigger and more practical problem was in finding the addresses. Should I go with maps, which I understood, or a GPS system, which I did not understand at all. I did an afternoon of research and contemplation before I decided that GPS and mapping would work Mapping to decide the order and GPS to guide me from one spot to another. however the volume was not sufficient to justify the GPS system at the moment. I knew that I needed to keep my eye on the overhead, so I decided to not decide for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment