Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I awoke a 6AM. As usual I was already awake when my small alarm clock buzzed. I slipped across the hall in my underwear in order to shower. I was dressed a few minutes later, but that morning I wore old clothes for my walk. I usually walked on the way to work, so I was dressed for the day, except for the shirt. That I did change before I left the park for the office. Since I would be leaving Mary's Condo, I had time to change completely.

I knocked on her door as I called out, "Wake up sleepy head. It's time to take our walk before breakfast."

I went to the kitchen only after I heard her mumble something through the bedroom door. She had one of those fancy coffee makers, so I just reheated last night's coffee in the microwave. I was surprised when she showed up in the kitchen just a few minutes later. She wasn't made up or well dressed, but she still managed to look attractive but most of all she still looked rich. I guessed that it was because she had treated herself well enough over the years to minimize the effects of the passing years.

"Now, if you get tired stop and come home. This is supposed to be exorcize not torture." I said that as we crossed the parking lot. We joined the trail through one of the many openings in the trees. I gauged the length of the walk by my elapsed walk time. I could walk a mile in about twenty minutes. I walked anywhere from forty minutes to one hour every morning. That came out to be about two to three miles a day.

One complete turn around her complex took me twenty seven minutes. Mary could complete only one that first day, I went for two. I figured I walked almost three miles and that was a fair walk. When I returned to the condo, I found the door unlocked because Mary was in the shower. I quickly changed for the office. I returned to the kitchen for more coffee. I drank the day old, even thought there was fresh coffee dripping into the pot. The day old would be stronger I knew.

"Want to stop for breakfast on the way in?" she asked when she emerged from her room. She was all dressed and made up like a big time lawyer. I almost laughed at the thought.

"No thanks it's a little early for me to have breakfast. I try to eat only one meal during the day. I like to have it around eleven or twelve. Then of course I have dinner at six or so."

"I see, well I like a good breakfast and a quick lunch."

"That's good, but your lunch she be very light." I knew that I was treading on thin ice. Women do not like to be criticized for their eating habits. I was walking a fine line.

The day at work went well. I went with her to the courthouse then back to the office where she was to meet with clients all morning. Since that was the case, I went to work on one of the court summons that needed to be served.

I had very little information on the second paper I wanted to serve, so I set up a slightly more elaborate scam. I turned on a mp3 player with classic rock music, then I called his home. Since he didn't seem to be working I expected him to answer. When he did I informed him that he had won tickets to an upcoming concert as a promotion for our satellite radio station. I gave him the false impression that my non existent radio station was the concert sponsor. If he would give me a time and location, I would have the tickets delivered by courier. I even gave him the name of the courier service, so that he wouldn't worry. Of course it was Lightening Express. By three O'clock that afternoon, he had the summons and I had his signature.

When I returned to the office, Mary was gone. I was a little concerned until I was told she had gone for her first visit to the Therapist. I was surprised that she could get an appointment so soon, then I remembered that the therapist was a friend of her dad's. Also that it wasn't a formal situation. The therapist was one of his church pastors as well.

"So how was it?" I asked upon her return.

"It was good, but he thinks we should be married."

"What?" I was shocked and it showed.

"Don't worry, I explained that even though you were staying in my house, we weren't doing the deed."

"Hey, don't say that so loud. I have a reputation to think about," I suggested while smiling broadly.

We spend another quiet evening at home. She didn't seem to be trying as hard to entertain me as she had the night before. Things went just fine.

As a matter of fact things plugged along just fine until Friday morning. Even then it went okay until I brought my suitcase into the living room just before we left for work.

"What the hell is that for?" she asked angrily.

"I moved here to be in the office on time and there is no work tomorrow. Don't worry I'll be back on Sunday night."

"Oh okay, I was worried that you were leaving me alone completely."

"Mary, you don't really need a babysitter in your own home. To be honest you don't really need one at the office. Talk to your therapist, maybe there is a way to ease back into your normal life."

"You aren't going to leave me, until I am ready are you?" She looked almost on the edge of panic.

"No, I'm not going anywhere until you are ready to be on your own. But I am going home to take care of things there." With that the subject was closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment