Saturday, April 17, 2010

I made the scan on a scanner fitted with a backlit cover. It was another piece of junk bought used on ebay. After I had a digital file, I drove it a couple of miles to the office depot. Their high quality laser printer made a nice black and white image. I had the girl put it on glossy paper and on card stock. I wanted to see how it did on each. I finally had one 11x17 mini poster printed on a thick card stock with a glossy surface. It looked better than most of the posters I saw around. It was as good as a photograph in some ways. Well for sure it was better than a photo for cost.

I was in the parking lot of the office depot, when the cell phone rang. I fumbled for it while putting the bag of printing into back seat of my car. "Hello," I said into the tiny piece of plastic.

"Hello John, it's Mary Seymore." She sounded tentative as if not sure whether I would hang up on her. She probably thought that I might say or do something equally rude.

"Hello Mary, how have you been?" I tried to make my voice sound positive and cheerful. I had no idea what her mental state was at the time.

"Just fine John, I'm going to be in your part of the world tomorrow, how about we have lunch?" I had no idea what lunch meant to Mary Seymore, but it didn't freight en me.

"Sure Mary, lunch it is." We said goodbye after arranging to meet at a local diner at 11am. I think she had a long lunch in mind. Since I didn't have any other plans, it sounded good to me. After the call I got into my car and drove home.

"Hey, wanna' see something cool?" I asked that of Misty who was standing by her car in the drive.

"Sure, what do you have?" I showed her the mini poster without saying a word. "God I love that. it's so you. I mean you are always on the track and you are a real slob Mr. Abba. No offense intended."

"If you like the poster, I can't get upset because you tell the truth. If you can sit still long enough, I'd love to re shoot you using the antique camera, The one I used to shoot this poster. It makes a different kind of image than the 35mm camera I used last time.

"Of course do you want to do it now?"

"Anytime at all would be fine. If Molly is home and would like to join in, that would also be nice."

"Molly is having dinner with her family tonight. She will probably spend the night at home. She usually goes right from the house of horror to school the next day."

"Ah and why is it the house of horror?" I asked. I could just tell she was dying to explain.

"Her dad is in denial. He still expects grandchildren any day now, if you get my meaning."

"Yeah, I think I get it. But why is that so bad, why not just set them straight once and for all or just play along."

"Molly does, play along that is. It always makes her crazy when she comes home though."

"Well, I'm glad I'm not involved in that on either side. I can see how it is hell of the parents and hell for you two as well. Some problems just don't and any easy answers." I suggested

"Nor hard ones either it seems," Misty added.

"Just to change the subject, since we are both alone for dinner, how about I grill a couple of those fancy hamburgers from the real butcher shop."

"Can we wrap up some veggies in aluminum foil and grill those as well."

"Sure, but only if you have any. All I have is lettuce and that doesn't grill well."

"Corn on the cob and carrots here," she suggested.

"I probably have an onion to add to the mix."

There was enough light in the yard to make a photo of her all curled up on the folding lounge. She faked sleep for me with an innocent little smile, which I knew would not sit well with the gods who watch over photographers. That smile was totally out of character for Misty so I had manufactured the image not captured it.

No comments:

Post a Comment