Thursday, April 29, 2010

"I can see that we have a lot of work to do here," she burst into laughter at the look on my face. "Okay, I promise I won't turn the place into a faggy nightmare, but you have to let me make it more comfortable."

"Mary, this is your first visit. You may not ever want to come back." I replied, with what I thought was perfect logic.

"So what you are telling me is, not to get too comfortable." She actually laughed. It was something she could not have done a month before.

"Not at all," I replied.

"Don't worry John, I get it. This is all new to both of us. I promise I will slow down and just let it happen." She found a spot on the sofa, then asked, "Do you have anything to drink around here?"

"I think I have a little rum, I'm sure I have a diet coke. So want to try a Cuba double Libra?"

"I'm up for anything tonight."

Truer words were never spoken. Mary was not a wild lover, but she was anxious to please. She tried to read my mind, which was both erotic and a bit concerning to me. Still it was a pleasure to be with her, both at the movie and in bed. I even took her to breakfast Saturday morning, but not to the Waffle and Egg.

After Mary left I tried to rig up the bike. Since the friction drive was so inefficient I didn't plan on riding it twenty miles. My plan was to drive the car within a miles of my delivery point, then get on the bike for the last mile or so. It was just for fun and part of the cover story. I didn't really need the bike, but it was all like a big game to me at that point.

I was shocked to find how much pure fun the bike was to ride. I knew that I had to watch my distances because the batteries weren't like gasoline. I couldn't buy a charge, when I ran low. I also found the bike to be heavy and clumsy. Still it was fun to zip around the back streets. People stared at me. I wasn't quite sure if it was because they thought I was an idiot or a genius. The bike was ugly as hell, that I did know for sure.

By the time I finished with the bike for the day, it was dinner time. I had worked right through lunch. I had also missed my walk. It was the first time in months that I had done that. I was tempted to drive to the mall for a couple of quick miles, but I decided that I had done enough physical work on the bike to offset my lack of walking.

After dinner I spent the evening in thought. The bike was a bust for the express business. It was just too heavy and clumsy, but it was a huge amount of fun to ride. I knew that it was going to be a toy for me, but I didn't mind. It would be another inexpensive way to pass the time.

The idea for the post card series came to me around midnight. I figured the bike would take me out about five miles no more. Even that had to be tested with a full powered set of batteries. I knew that I could find things of interest within five miles of my home. I had the reenactments on some weekends. The image a day had been a bust, but if I combined it with my bike rides, I could start a series of postcards and call it the 'Five Miles from Ground zero' collection. The idea sounded wonderful, of course I was also half asleep. Most things sounded good ,when I was drugged by sleep deprivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment