Friday, December 11, 2009

my new friend

"Morning Jeff," the middle eastern looking woman said. I was in the middle of cooking my own breakfast when she appeared from out of nowhere. Gloria did that almost every day lately.

"Come on Gloria give it a rest." I said it trying to ignore her. If I gave her too much thought she would drive me totally insane. Of course, there were those who thought I was insane already. I thought yet again, they may know more than I do.

"You mean give you a rest?" I nodded. "You know I can't do that."

"Can't or won't?" I asked quietly.

"They are the same thing in my case." She actually smiled.

"You know Gloria. I have no idea why you are here. I mean, why me?"

"You know why I picked you."

"Of course I know. I mean why you and why me?"

"Ah I see what you mean now. There are thousands of people being killed everyday. Why am I the one who refused to go peacefully? Maybe it's because it really wasn't my time to go. If you had chosen the right man to kill, then I might still be alive."

"The one I did kill was wired up just like the other one. The one I didn't get to fast enough."

"Yes but who knows how many suicide bombers just lose their nerve. The one you killed might have run away, if you had shot the other one instead."

"You know that he pulled the trigger on that bomb outside the building instead of inside only because I was going to pop him next. There would have been ten times as many deaths, if he had gotten inside."

"Yes but that would have spared me, since I was outside in a car driving by. No matter how you slice it Jeffie, you are responsible for my death."

"And you plan to make me pay by driving me crazy?"

"No, I plan to help you avoid making that kind of mistake again. I know things you can't know. I can go places you can't go."

"But you don't really exist. You can't know more than me, since you are a symptom of my sick mind. It must be that I have finally gone crazy from all the blood and death."

I had finished scrambling the eggs by that time. "Now go away while I eat. You make it very hard to enjoy my food."

Just as quickly as she had appeared, she vanished.

No comments:

Post a Comment