Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Even though Wednesday night at the Holiday Inn had changed, it was till a place I visited every week. I guess I had become a creature of habit. I chose Wednesday as my one weeknight out.

I pretty much stuck to my routine even though the tourist no longer crowded the streets. Riding the bike around Wrightsville Island didn't produce nearly the calls it once had. Most of the calls I got were from people who saw my webpage. I got a lot more email than phone calls by that time.

I had been house hunting all day, so I needed the drink I ordered at the Holiday Inn's bar. Even though it was Wednesday night, the lounge was almost empty. I was about halfway through my first beer, when I heard the voice.

"Okay bike builder on your feet," I looked up into the bar mirror. I saw Jen gin standing behind me.

"I do hope this is a joke?" I suggested.

"Yes, but it always gets a man's attention.."

Tight jeans work just as well. The guy doesn't go to the bathroom and never come back nearly as often with my method." I did say it while smiling. "So how is the Holden Beach PD?"

"Boring, I want to move to a bigger town."

"Oh really, what do you have in mind, New York."

"Not that big, I was thinking Wilmington."

"You should do that," I replied.

"I just need one big bust to get noticed," she suggested.

"I can't help you."

"Too bad you aren't a big time coke dealer."

"My banker probably feels the same way." I waited in silence while she took a seat at the bar. Then I waited while she ordered a drink, which I paid for of course. "So what brings you out on the town tonight?"

"Saying goodbye to the tourist season," she replied.

"Is this a celebration, or a wake?"

"A little of both. From now until spring break, Holden Beach will be a ghost town. All the retired cops in the area, who work there in the summer, will be gone. It will be back to two officers on patrol with nothing to do but try to keep the locals from putting kitchen knives into their spouses."

"Sounds like total boredom with a shot of terror now and then," I admitted.

"Yep," she said sadly. There just didn't seem to be anything in her future but coffee and donuts until spring. She didn't need too many more donuts either.

"You should get a bicycle to fill your time. Riding up and down the beach roads would be good for you. Tune up the old heart, kind of thing," I suggested.

"You just happen to have one right?"

"Go to the downtown flea market in Wilmington on Saturday. Tell the owner that Eddie sent you. He will fix you up at flea market prices." She looked at me questioningly. I sell power bikes not pedal ones. You need to pedal around over the winter. It will be good for you."

One drink turned into five. "I'm going to check into the motel tonight. The rates are down, and I have had too much to drink." Flashing her badge might get a buy on a driving under the influence, but it wouldn't help me any. I could just hear Cindy going off on me for being arrested. "You are welcome to spend the night no strings attached."

"Do you do this often?" she asked.

"I came down for two drinks and to relax. The rest just happened, but fifty bucks for a room is better than a night in the drunk tank. The local police have nothing better to do than stop people driving home after midnight, just to be sure they aren't DWI."

"That is true, we do it in Holden Beach as well. Okay, but no tricks, I have a black belt."

"Then why aren't you wearing it?" I asked being my usual smart assed self.

No comments:

Post a Comment