Monday, October 11, 2010

Jay Jay arrived just after 9 pm. “So why are you interested in Shanon McDonald?”

“Is that the name of the girl who went into the lake.?”

“Why don’t you know that? I heard you picked up a copy of the police report today.”

“Damn woman, do you have spies everywhere?”

“Here and there, and they thought I would like to know what my boyfriend is up to.”

“I doubt they think of me as your boyfriend.”

“Well my secret lover, which is not even a secret from my mother.”

I smiled waited a couple of minute then asked. “So what’s the scoop on Shanon?”

“She was seventeen years old and a senior at Central High School.”

“Any extra curricular activities?”

“Do you mean like the marching band or like drugs?”

“Either?”

“She wasn’t the social type. Friends said she was voted most likely to wipe out the school and commit suicide.”

“Ah, black trench coat type?”

“Yeah Goth, or as much Goth as you a teen can be in a southern town.”

“Any drugs in her life?”

“None we could find, but the police report should answer that better.”

“I was waiting for your footage before I went into all that.”

“So are we going to watch an hour's worth of my coverage of Shanon McDonald, or are we going to screw?”

“Is that a one or the other option?”

“Afraid so, I have to be back at the studio in two hours.”

“Oh why do you have to go back in the middle of the night.”

“Buddy and I are going to take a train ride. The train only stops here in the middle of the night these days.”

“So why are you doing it anyway?”

“We are going to interview the last of the old black men Arlo Gutherie wrote about. You know the song “City of New Orleans” was actually about a conductor he met on a train. The last of the old timers on the New York to New Orleans run is retiring. Now everything is automated. Pa Systems to make the announcements and the trains have automated doors and steps. Just no need for conductors anymore.”

“Well then let’s get to bed, since I know that is the only reason you come here.” I said it with a smile. She placed the dvd on the kitchen table, then led the way to my bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment