Monday, October 4, 2010

By Monday morning I had worked out my plan for the park rangers. Since I had old men and anorexic women in uniform. I decided that it was best that they do just as they had done all along, just as little as possible. The one change I did make was to insist that the dispatcher try me before she called the duty ranger. If I wasn't doing anything, I would handle any night calls myself. If the call became an emergency, I wouldn't have to feel bad that I let an old man or anorexic woman take the hit.

After I read the weekend logs and incident reports, I called JJ at the TV station. "J.J. it's Burke here," I said to her voice mail. "I need a favor how about giving me a call. You know the number call the cell phone."

It took about an hour but she did return my call. "Burke you calling me at work, did they finally fire you?"

"Not yet, but it might not be much longer. There just isn't anywhere lower they can transfer me."

"Well if you aren't in the hospital, and you aren't on the street, why the heck did you call me at work. Do you want to do lunch?" She laughed at the very idea of it.

"Tell you what, I'll take you to lunch, if you do me this favor."

"Oh what kind of favor is it. It must be really important for you to risk being seen with me."

"That's not as big a deal as it used to be. I don't think park rangers catch hell for their pillow talk with reporters."

"Yeah, so what do you need?" she had turned serious suddenly.

"I need everything you have on a dump job out at the marina last spring."

"Hey I did the initial report on that is there something new?"

"Only thing new is that I want to review the case file. I want to see the news coverage before I get the police file."

"Didn't you see it all at the time?"

"No I was working vice at the time. I heard about it but I had no contact with the case at all. I do know it went cold."

"Yeah cold because she was a local. If she had been a tourist, they would have worked it till hell froze over. It was during the time that the Mayor was trying to increase the size of the trade shows. He said the town could take in a few million more, if the tourist had a better impression of the place. That and if the citizens would vote for him again, of course."

"Of course," I said in agreement.

"I'll have Eddie make you some copies and put them on a DVD. I can drop it by tonight."

"That would be great, bring your notes as well. I know you found out things that didn't make it on air."

"I hate that you know me that well. Okay notes it is, and for this I want the deluxe pizza not the two topping one."

"Garbage can pizza it is. I'll pick it up and stash it in the refrig until you get there."

"You know I only do the six o'clock news now."

"Then you check the reaction of the focus group and then you set your appointments for the next day. If you get to my place before ten I will be shocked."

"Yeah, you do know me."

No comments:

Post a Comment