Tuesday, June 15, 2010

the end

Michael was in intensive care as I knew he would be. Still I wanted to be there for a few minutes at least. He might never know, but I would know. Maybe, if I were standing there, I could also con a nurse or doctor into giving me information. It is so easy to say no on the phone,

"Are you family?" The duty nurse asked.

"Not exactly, Michael is a very good friend." I could see her eyes glaze over. Before she could refuse to give me any information, I decided what the hell. I didn't know the nurse and would probably never see her again anyway. "Michael and I are sort of involved. If you get my meaning."

"Oh, I see. Michael is recovering from the surgery and we are hopeful. He is in serious condition, but we are expecting the next 24 hours to be critical. If he makes it through those, he should be fine."

"Is his family here?"

"His father is over there in the corner."

I nodded my thanks then headed over to Michael's father. "Mr. Monroe, I'm John Abba. Michael is my neighbor."

"So you are the one who got Michael shot?" he asked.

"I might be, but I assure you it was unintentional."

"That female detective said you would probably be here. She also said to tell you nothing. So what is it you need to know?"

"Do you know anyone who might do this to Michael?"

"You mean like a crazy boyfriend?"

He knew about Michael, so I suggested, "That or anyone else who might harbor ill feeling for Michael?"

"No nothing like that. I think it was a case of mistaken identity."

I just nodded, since I felt the same. I left the hospital on the bike. When I arrived home I set the bike's batteries on the charger before I packed the car for the drive to the festival. I was also armed to the teeth, as the saying goes.

It turned out to be a good thing. I saw the same car too many time to be an accident. It looked as though my would be assassin had figured out he hit the wrong man. I surely hoped so since I spent a lot of time hanging around town to give him a chance to work it out. I pulled into one of those rest stops along the highway, Those things are all pretty much alike. Usually there would be too many people around for him to do his thing. That is unless he was desperate. I sure hoped that he was. I didn't much like the idea of hanging around in a public restroom for too long. Since there were no other cars in the parking lot, I hung out at the entrance until I saw the car pull in. I wasn't all that sure, since it was a different car. Still it was the most logical explanation.

I am sure that he was expecting me to enter the men's room do my thing, the exit again. Instead I went inside then immediately out and into the ladies room while he was busy getting out of the car and looking around. Since the doors were opposite each other, I got to watch him through the crack I left. He un holstered his pistol, took one look around the parking lot then turned back to the door. Before he could open it, I was on him.

The snubbie at the base of his skull convinced him that I was serious. "Drop the pistol and don't worry about it going off accidentally, I'm behind you." I waited until I heard the metal on concrete sound before I continued.

"Before you make some hand to hand combat move, let me explain. At the first twitch I'm going to make you an organ donor. Now take one step back, then take one step to your right" He did as I ordered very slowly and carefully. He obviously believed that I would shoot him in the back of the head and he was absolutely right.

"Now lean against the wall." While he was against the wall I pulled a wire tire from my pocket. No I don't carry one all the time, but there are a handful in the car and even a few around the house. Ya just never know. "Now lean forward and put your head down and against the wall" I waited till he did it, then I said, "Now put your hands behind you. If you so much as twitch you are going be leaving a hell of a mess for some poor devil to clean off that wall." It took only a second longer to use the wire tie to secure his hands.

I walked him back to his car. I put my hand in his pocket from behind. I found two sets of keys. One had about ten keys but the other had only a single car key. I opened the trunk. "Now get inside." Once he was inside I suggested, "If you would like, I'll shoot a couple of air holes in there after I close the lid." When he didn't speak I went on. "It's time you tell me who you are working for."

He again remained silent. "Now we can play this one of two ways. When I ask you again, you can tell me. In that case I will place a call to him and suggest a better solution to our standoff. Of course you can go for door number two. In that case remain silent, in which case I will drive you to a quite place and begin removing body parts until you decide to talk. No one ever refuses past a couple of fingers. But who know you might be the exception."

"Now who are you working for?" He obviously believed I was capable of it. It was a good thing that he did.

"A man in Jersey. Word is that he is concerned that one of his former associates will mention his name in court. So he wanted me to eliminate the witness, so it wouldn't come to that."

"Why not the one making the threat? It would be a better and more permanent solution."

"He is in jail and the man in Jersey does not wish to have his name, or anyone he knows on the bail bond."

Give me his phone number and I will make him a better offer." It was hard but I didn't say one he couldn't refuse.

I dialed the number. "Hello is the boss around?"

"Who is this?" a voice asked.

"I'm the ex-cop in North Carolina he wants silenced."

"I see should I ask how you got this number?"

"A better question would be, is he still alive?"

"Is he?"

"For now yes. I know what the deal is. Actually Robbie told me to expect you to send someone. I have a rather better suggestion."

"I'm all ears," the voice replied.

"I get your friend sprung and your man here discusses it with him directly."

"You can do this?"

"Yes, but I want some assurances that this will end satisfactory for us both."

"If it doesn't, just pick up the two of them again. I expect that you are capable"

"Here is my deal, I spring your boy Robbie and his brother. Your man here has a talk with them both. Then we both move on. If not, I will take them both out and send the FBI to talk to you."

"You and I are both on throw away phones," he informed me.

"And you think this man won't give me your address, when I start chopping off his fingers and toes. Of course Robbie has already proved that he will talk with that kind of persuasion."

"Then I suppose I have no choice."

"Not at the moment but of course you would change your mind. You might want to think of this. I got this number, how much else do I know. I will be writing what I know in a letter to the FBI, just in case. You do understand?"

"Of course, I would do the same. Let me speak to Marco."

"I'll be listening."

"I would expect no less."



"That's how Robbie and his brother ate the bullets after their release," I said it to an assistant DA.

"I could charge you with aiding. You do know that."

"Why do you think I checked you for a wire. Those hand held wands are the cats PJs" I suggested.

Why go to all that trouble?"

"Oh it was to stay alive, of course. As for Robbie and his brother, I just promised Charlie's wife justice, I never said it would be in court."

"So enjoy your hot dog and lets end this now, I have a plane to catch."

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment